Haider Memorial Chapel
Father Haider was born Sept. 9, 1820 at Absem Tyrol, Austria. He studied at Hall, Innsbruck and Brixon Tyrol, and was ordained at Brixon Tyrol in 1845. He served in 1848 as Chaplain in the army during the war between Austria and Italy, and came to America in 1850, being first stationed at East Troy, Jefferson and Madison, until 1862.
Father Haider came to Sheboygan, and began his work to harmonize discordant elements in the interests under his charge, in building up a large church membership, and erecting, Holy Name, one of the largest and most substantial stone church edifices in the west. While most men would have failed in so great an undertaking, his remarkable perseverance, coupled with the full confidence of his congregation enabled him to carry out his project, and now, the massive stone church, with its twin spires reaching heavenward, stands, a monument to his memory. He was a man of happy disposition, made friends of all with whom he came in contact, and had the fullest confidence and filial regard of his parishioners. Coming here at the beginning of the war of the rebellion, he warmly sympathized with the Union cause, and the government in its effort to maintain its integrity. In brief, Father Haider was a true gentleman in the broadest sense of the word, dearly loved by his church people, strongly admired and highly esteemed by all who knew him. Father Haider is buried in the old “Haider” Chapel at Calvary Cemetery. The Chapel is a landmark project, and will be restored if funds can be available.
Joe Hauser Site
Joseph John “Unser Choe” Hauser (January 21, 1899 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin – July 11, 1997 in Sheboygan, Wisconsin) was a professional baseball player who played first base in the major leagues from 1922 to 1929, with the Philadelphia Athletics and Cleveland Indians.
Hauser’s major league career was undistinguished, but he made a name for himself in the minor leagues, where he became the first player ever to hit 60 or more home runs twice in a professional career: 63 in 1930, and 69 in 1933.